RE: 19K6400

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 19:48:24 EST

> So the end of this is, I will add the diode, which helps if anyone
> wants to
> use the board at higher regulation voltages (Clay? There are other
> issues
> to be dealt with since you have to ensure that the Vin-Vout
> differential is
> less than 40V), and also to save the IC incase someone drops a foil
> gum
> wrapper on the isolation transformer ;-)

I can't think of anything. I'm figuring there will be an input/output
differential of at most 10-12V with a 40V CT transformer. Anyone know
what the current draw would be like on the 40-0-40? (Or even the
current draw on a "standard" WG6100 would be useful.) I found a whole
box of "likely candidates" for transformers at lunch. 110V in with
center-tapped 39V and 50V secondaries, and a 9VAC (non CT) output. Look
like they might have been for something monitor-like (9VAC as heater
voltage? Maybe a little high...).

The only "gotcha" is that the windings for the 39V looked pretty thin--
like 22AWG. They'd be cheap to grab (only a few dollars each), but they
don't have rated secondary current numbers... And I can't believe those
thin wires would hold up to much of a load. :-(

-Clay