Re: Major Havoc translator board

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 13:10:49 EST

Paul Kahler wrote:

> > I have a small board with "MH/Tempest" on it that looks like it goes on
> > the end of a Atari cage. It has alot of pots and chips. As I remember
> > this is the "translator board" that allows you to plug Major Havoc into
> > a Tempest?
>
> I've got one of those too. I have a "known good" MH board and a working
> Tempest, but when I plug the translator in with MH, it doesn't work. All
> I get is a blank screen and I *think* a control panel light or 2. Anyone
> know where to start debugging this thing?

first thing to do is to twist the small connector around. It should work
perfectly.
I don't believe that you can hurt the MH board by plugging the small
connector together
incorrectly (correctly) either, so you should be okay.

> > I'm using a Star Wars end board, and it fits Tempest perfectly! Can
> > anyone confirm my memory that the smaller connector for a Tempest wiring
> > harness has to be rotated before you plug it into the Major Havoc board?
> > If the MH/Tempest translator board doesn't do this then I'll have
> > "extend" the small connector off of the Star Wars end board so it can
> > rotate.
>
> Could that be my problem? I can't imagine they'd make you do that & I'm
> not going to try it just for grins without looking up what signals would
> get crossed.

who knows who missed that detail but it is indeed a screwy one. The best
way to
see how to plug them in together correctly is to look for the pin
designations on the
PCB and on the end of the connector. One side is labeled A-N and the
other is 1-15. I may
be off on the actual number of pins but you get the idea.

Jess

--
Jess M. Askey            *** Coming Soon - The Game Archive ***
Game Spot/Audio Analyst  *  Pinball, Video, Parts, Collecting *