Re: fixing a newer g-05

From: Mitchell Rohde <bovine_at_eecs.umich.edu>
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 19:08:56 EST

 On the question of transistors, I am unsure what everyone means when they
say they "test" them. I am guessing that (like myself) this is simply a
check with a digital meter to make sure some the BE and BC junctions are
ok.... that it conducts when the right bias is applied to it.

 In the case of these big transistors for the monitors, simple tests like
this may not do the trick (as you guys have seen). Similarly
some power supplies test ok without load, but then when you hook them
up... nada (I'm sure you guys have seen regulator circuits like this).
The transistor's characteristics may have changed over time and from heavy
usage, spikes, etc.

 I don't think it would be too hard to set up a decent test circuit for
these... with the correct bias, a load, etc... but the quickest method is
to just swap in new parts... if there is interest I could come up with
something for testing...

                                        mitch