Re: TVS as *input* clamping?

From: Anders Knudsen <andersk_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Thu Jan 29 1998 - 00:39:39 EST

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Clay Cowgill wrote:

> Dunno if anyone suggested this yet or not, but as I was staring at the
> "input protection board" on a 314 deflection board in my vector monitor
> during lunch...
>
> Couldn't you just use bidirectional TVS' (at, say... 10V for "X" and
> 8.2V for "Y") across ground and the inputs? So if an op-amp failed and
> yanked the output the +/- rail the TVS would clamp it?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> -Clay

Hey, great you should see this also! I thought of this exact OV protection
quite a while back. I have some TVSs sitting in the basement somewhere
that I was going to try but never got around to it. I need to get my Space
Duel up and running, since it is the only deflection board I have without
the "atari" OV protection.
I say yes. Using bidir TVSs soldered directly to the input of the
deflection would be perfect OV protection!

-Anders.