Voice chips

From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol_at_altair.com>
Date: Fri Jan 30 1998 - 14:26:32 EST

The TMS5220 data sheet is on my web page at...
http://www.2bits.simplenet.com/techinfo.html
I'm not sure who scanned it originally.

The conversion program I have is just 5220 to raw PCM,
then I used Cool Edit to make .wav files from them.

I've gotten a bit distracted regarding the SP0250 emulation,
(due to Al actually ;) ) but I'll be getting back to it in a week
or so.

The format of the SP0250 is in 15 byte sequences.
It turn out that G-80 games have the 15 byte sequences compressed
because they may not change all that much from frame to frame.
I'm still decoding them - but it's only a matter of time. :)
The rest of the simulation will hinge on recreating the digital
filter used in there. And I've got a good idea what's in there.

The SP0250 is very similar to the TMS5220, while the SP0256
is more sophisticated. It has a simple 4-bit micro and ROM in it,
along with the exact same digital filter as the SP0250.

You all will be the first to know when I get an SP0256 to say,
"So - a creature for my amusement!"

Actually, I believe a PIC could be used to replace a TMS5220 or
SP0250, but I've got some time before this project becomes important
(when Clay's stock runs out :)

I'd like to try to get an SC-01 simulator going someday as well,
but it's a lot uglier with a proprietary, analog, switched-cap type
of a design.

-Frank