High voltage supply question

From: Dave Morrill <david.p.morrill_at_fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 13:02:26 EST

Hello,
        I'm new to the list, hope you guys can help.

        I'm Debugging an Asteroids Deluxe monitor prob., no display, high
voltage supply very weak.

The 20 Ohm power resistor in series with the 40V supply input to the
High Voltage supply was burned/broken off. I resoldered it and checked
the transistors/diodes/ and other resistors, they look OK.

However, the primary input winding of the HV transformer measured .9
Ohms, all other windings were in the 2-3 Ohm region. I get an open
circuit for the high voltage diode in series with the High voltage side
of the transformer when measured with a multimeter. Is the DIODE BAD?

I am getting some High voltage, but when I discharge the monitor it is a
VERY WEAK spark, I compared it to another monitor and I'm sure it's way
below what it should be.

Also, the supply is generating the 90 and 400 volt supplies correctly.

any tips?

thanks,
        Dave.

mailto:david.p.morrill@fairchildsemi.com