RE: Exorcisor on a chip

From: Ozdemir, Steve <steve.ozdemir_at_plpt.com>
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 12:02:21 EST

G'day folks,

Maybe I'm not follow this discussion, but let me ask. By using several
connectors and a 7414 at the corners of the boards (resulting in a
single layer board), does that make this PCB cheaper to produce?

The obvious answer is "Yes, Steve."

So my next question is, "Does this change also eliminate the need for
drilling (or simplify the drilling to be just the pattern for
socket/connectors/IC pads)?" I'm trying to understand if the new layout
has made the PCB cheap enough that we'll have more demand for it or need
less people to make a production run of it.

I guess I also don't understand how single layer boards affect
cost/drilling? Maybe Al's implying that because the board is single
layered that it is more easily etched by hand rather than created in a
production run?

               Steven S Ozdemir
               sso@plpt.com (my company renamed itself in Feb)
               sso@dsc.com (good for a few more months)
               ozdemir@xenon.stanford.edu (permanent...weekly)

ps - If power and clock have to come through the center of the board,
that implies some drilling.