Re: On Topic:: ) Help w/encoder

From: Todd Miller <litterbox_at_netconx.net>
Date: Thu Feb 26 1998 - 19:50:56 EST

Danger wil wrote:

> Hey,
>
> O.k. I got the Go8 back up and running, everything wired into place, the
> multi game runs, coin switches wired in....... I need some help with getting
> a Tempest encoder to work with the spinner games in the G80 multi game.
>
> I talked to one friend and he suggested that perhaps the signal gain of the
> Atari encoder was not high enough. He thought that lowering the value of the
> resistors on the main board, to the CLK and DIR lines should solve the
> problem.
>
> The game works perfectly with a Sega spinner but the Tempest will only spin
> jerkily in one direction. Yes I did notice that the DIR and CLK lines are
> reversed for the different manufacturers.

I just finished my custom CP for the multi-game a few days ago. Using
the Tempest spinner & Clay's single player interface worked fine for me.
I does seem a little more sensitive...but I'v never played these games
before. If you spin it real fast, you do get get a stalling effect,
like
you describe. Here's how I hooked it up to the single player interface;

pin 1 on P30 -->dir
pin 2 on P30 -->neg
pin 3 on P30 -->+5v
pin 4 on P30 -->clk
pin 5-rest...-->fire,thrust,warp,etc..

looking at the bottom of Tempest spinner, shaft pointing
away from you & with the 4 pin conn at the left;

4 pin conn-->dir
4 pin conn-->+5v
4 pin conn-->neg
4 pin conn-->clk