RE: PC Vector generator card... (and ESB update)

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 17:46:19 EST

> Ummm Clay... What's an ISA bus? :-) Really, I understand the idea is
> use a cheapo-486 running an emulator, but you are aware that there are
> motherboards that have no ISA slots these days?

Oh, now that's a load of... ;-) Every volume-shipping OEM still has ISA
slots. They may not be putting any cards in them, but they have ISA
available. ISA support won't be disappearing from the motherboard
chipsets until the first half of '99. Even then, there will still be
PCI->ISA add-ons for motherboard designers that want to include ISA.

If PCI support ever gets to be a big deal I'll probably just hide the
ISA design behind a PLX or Tiger PCI to ISA bridge chip and call it
even. Plus, homebrew PCI cards are a pain in the ass. Trace length
limits, bus mastering, grumble, grumble... (AKA, Clay doesn't want to do
it so he's going to stick his head in the sand and make an ISA card. ;-)

> Of course when pentiums
> are old, PCI chips will be cheap too and someone can do a redesign
> for "current old junk" at that time :-)

Right-o. I'm a big fan of "do it fast, first". Otherwise nothing gets
finished.

-Clay