Re: ISA Vector card already done...

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 18:08:54 EST

> "I certainly look forward to hearing the explanation."
>
> There must have been a low pass filter on the output
> of your DACs..
>
> If you take the output of a voltage output DAC and
> hook it to the input of a scope (which has electrostatic
> deflection and has a very fast beam rate) you should
> see only the initial value and the new value.. two
> dots.

Yes, I did this back at OU for a project. I displayed some text on a
scope - had it rotate and bounce around. I used a 86K single board with
a couple of D/As and fed it points. I had to use a bunch of points for
each letter because you can clearly see the discrete "dots" I never
could have done enough points to look like lines - I displayed one point
per interupt, somewhere in the 10's of KHz rate. His sound card certainly
has some sort of filter on the output. The lines should have been
brighter at the target end than the starting end. Yes? Or do sound cards
use the Cinematronics style "overshoot" strategy? That would be major
overkill, I think I'll start producing "high-end" audio amps ;-)

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.