RE: Dedicated MH -- what's reasonable price ?

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 02:00:00 EDT

> Lee Bender found the Zektor, but sold it to Keith at Videotopia,
> where it will probably rot, because I have heard (albeit second-hand) that
> Videotopia doesn't put Sega XY stuff on display because it is too
> unreliable....

Gee thanks, we try to do something good for this hobby and look what we
get. :)

Nuthin' is gonna rot.. but Myles didn't mis-inform you Joe..
Lee Bender wanted to give us the oppurtunity to buy if first. We got it,
and I picked it up, and gave it a good inspection before power up. I was
told it was not operational, and that was solved in about 30 seconds with
a new header pin. I put it out the next day and it worked a total of 6
hours before conking out. The monitor developed a prob, all the images are
squeezed into thin lines, although each individual object is in its proper
place and the screen still has full defletion. I figured it is just some
caps. I have had my hand full with other stuff at the moment to bother
fixing it (I have unwillingly become very good at fixing V-1000s :)

I also put out a Tac/Scan the same day, and it took a total of 8 hours to
break. if that is any indication of unreliability, I dont know what is.
it is easy to see why these games are so rare. That Zektor has under 900
clicks on the meter, and it broke! no wonder the op got fed up with it and
stuffed in the warehouse..

I would LOVE to run the SEGA games, but they are just hard to keep running
if they get run 10 hours a day.

I tried running the Tac/Scan when we were at the Franklin intitute in
Philly, and it broke *4* times in 3 days so I said the hell with that..
It went through a few RAM chips in the XY boards, some monitor problems,
burned PS connectors, and a chip on the spinner interface board.

hopefully I will work out all the bugs in them, so they can be put in the
exhibit. I want to have them ready for the next showing (see the site).
Everybody nees to play Zektor :> It is a fun game, but the knob sucks,
It makes it harder to play. I wanna put a Tac/Scan knob on it, but I
figure I should probably leave it original. Those black marks on the side
all of you saw in those pics are not original, I guess the op thought it
needed something on the sides..

Just for the record, there are 2 Zektors around. I cant say who it is, but
I should add that he found his Zektor about a month before Lee found his..

Jeff
http://www.videotopia.com