Re: i can't win...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 16:31:55 EDT

On Fri, 15 May 1998 11:32:28 -0700 (PDT), aek@spies.com (Al Kossow) wrote:

>zonn said"
>
>"For instance I cannot read 80% of the .TIF scans on =
>www.spies.com"
>
>I wish I knew what format was the most universal for high-compression CCITT G4
>tiff data.. People bitched because the scans were too big, and took too long
>to download, so I compressed them using the highest compression B&W format that
>was a 'standard' and now people can't decode them...

Hey Al,

This has come up before in vectorlist, I didn't mean for it to be a criticism!
It's just that programs that claim .TIF only support a subset (I don't believe
there is any program that supports all the .TIF modes).

I decided to compress .BMP files for two reasons:

1) It's such a frickin easy file layout that it would be pretty hard (bordering
on incompetence) for a program that supports it to support it incorrectly.

2) It doesn't have a B&W compression mode so I didn't have to decompress it
before I compress it.

As far as your site is concerned, you have lot's of disk space so a nice
standard would be nice. Unfortunately most standards will probably use more
space than the current .TIF files. .GIF's are pretty universal, but will
probably use quite a bit of space.

I don't know what the answer is but the 80% thing wasn't a dig!!! I really
appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining the site, and the convenience
of them being there! And I CAN read them, it just takes a lot if fiddling
between a couple of programs to do so.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically