Re: ESB Inquiry

From: dp <dpage_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 21:01:21 EDT

\At 08:37 PM 6/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
>A question to our vector gurus - I just bought my Star Wars and noticed a
>few things with the monitor I was curious about:
>
>1) When the game is over the screen "jumps" (for lack of a better term - it
>gets oversized for a second then comes back to normal) for a second before
>entering into attract mode or entering high score, etc. What would be the
>cause of this?

This is probably the tube. I had this same problem only much worse with
another wg and found that changing tubes solved the problem.

>2) Secondly, when the Death Star dies, 2 things happen - first a very
>bright straight stray line goes from the screen's center point to about 3
>inches away. When the explosion concludes - one bright white dot with
>several lesser white dots are at center screen, with low intensity white
>lines radiating from them occassionally. Any suggestions about this?

This may be a bug or minor mathbox problem.

>3) Lastly, I noticed that when the game is doing the famous Star Wars
>style scrollback the letters are often "shaky" or "vibrating" when they are
>scrolling back - I know its from the monitor drawing and refreshing, but is
>it normal?

This is also the tube. There is a place that sells the tubes for around
125.00 new. I think the atari web site has the address. ( a ampliphone tube
also looks killer in the well gardner chassie.)

>By the way, the monitor, I believe, is a Wells-Gardner - serial # starts
>with WG ...

Yes it's a wells. Bill Lacovra recapped that chassie. And he is thorough.

Dave