RE: Asteroids CPU repair problems

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 16:40:12 EDT

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Clay Cowgill wrote:

> > No. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If someone
> > will build the switch PCB, I'll do the logic PCB. So far there've
> > been no volunteers. The switch PCB is NASTY, and I'm not going to get
> > stuck doing it too. People were talking about building a PC
> > interface,
> > which I think is the way to go (unfortunately, I know nothing about
> > using
> > the Serial/Parallel ports of a PC, or about writing software for PCs)
> >
> Maybe one of those 48 bit general purpose I/O cards (sorry Al, I think
> they're mostly ISA) is the way to go? Seems like they were reasonably
> priced (~$80) and don't require any up-front engineering on our part.

        That's probably exactly what is needed. I need to check
the number of IOs into the Logic PCB (it;s been like 6 months
since I looked at this stuff) but 48 sounds like it might be enough.

        The logic PCB does all the real time signal generation
that goes to the board under test in a CAT box, so I think the
logic PCB + CPU interface for display/setup is the way to go.

        Figure ~$80 for the card. I'd bet this can be done for
around $150.

Joe