GO-5 question

From: Doug Jefferys <djeffery_at_multipath.com>
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 06:48:59 EDT

> > I'd love to find a schematic to my early series G07 monitor (801) in
> > Asteroids. I have the later G07 manual (where the power
> > supply/deflection board are on one), but this is the earlier double
> > board version.
>
> GO-5 I assume? ;-) I think I have at least three different revisions of
> GO-5 manuals. I can bring them in and scan 'em if you like... (Need to
> do a marquee anyway...)

Speaking of GO-5, I've got a cocktail Asteroids that's beginning
to fade. Rather than those razor-sharp brilliant points of light
we're used to seeing for Asteroids bullets, I'm getting relatively
unfocused bullets, and it's also difficult to find a brightness and
contrast setting that gives me good definition between the "bright"
vectors and the "dim" vectors.

A little inspection under the hood revealed that the previous owner
has shorted (!) out one of the big ceramic resistors.

1) Exactly what the *hell* was the operator thinking? Removing the
   shorting wire results in a blank screen, so I'm assuming the resistor
   itself is toast.

2) Why does the monitor work with the jumper in place, and could it
   be responsible for the poor video performance I've got (either by
   itself or by slowly degrading other components)

3) Any other hints for restoring the beast?

Later,
Doug.

--
Douglas W. Jefferys           |