Re: GO-5 question

From: Doug Jefferys <djeffery_at_multipath.com>
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 12:44:36 EDT

Once upon a time, John Robertson wrote:
> Doug Jefferys wrote:
> >
> > [snip story of GO-5 with shorted-out ceramic resistor and fuzzy vectors]
>
> This resistor is part of the deflection circuitry. In some monitors
> (19") this was just a peice of wire, in the 13" it was a resistor. If it
> works, that is if the picture is not too large/small, then I would leave
> it shorted.

Cool. The resistor has been left shorted.

> The picture getting fuzzy implies fading caps. I would replace all the
> capacitors in the HV cage. Try and get low ESR and 105 degree " caps.
> These cost a little more, but are well worth it.

Done, and *wow*, what a difference. More to the point, I'm amazed
at how "large" the screen had bloomed to without my noticing as the
original caps aged.

Looking back at the burn-in on the screen, I noticed a "streaked"
appearance, indicating the lettering in the attract mode had slowly
been growing in size over the years when the machine was in the
arcade. 20/20 hindsight, anyone?

Meanwhile, my thanks to John for the tip.

Later,
Doug.

--
Douglas W. Jefferys           |