Re: Need Star Wars (Amplifone) repair tips

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 10:24:57 EDT

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Dave Turner wrote:

> Found some more information. Checked out the deflection PCB and found
> some curious things. Found that fuse F3 was blown. Also found that the
> bottom of Capacitor C3 (and around R7) are black with burn marks or
> maybe soot. C3 doesn't seem to ohm out right, but I haven't had the
> chance to remove it yet to test it properly.

        If you have any doubts, just replace them...

> My guess is that I need to purchase a Zanen "get well kit" and install
> it. I think that would rule out most of the parts prone to failure.

        Be careful. The Zanen get well kit for the Amplifone isn't
that great. It just has caps and deflection transistors, and your
problems aren't necessarily the symptoms of bad deflection transistors.

        Also, there are some caps on the HV board that should be
"low-ESR" caps, but the Zanen kit just has normal caps. These caps
are documented in Gregg Woodcock's XY repair FAQ.

        All the caps that come in the Zanen kit for the deflection
board should be OK.

Joe