RE: Need Star Castle Help

From: <Mike_Ranger_at_DOFASCO.CA>
Date: Wed Oct 07 1998 - 12:57:05 EDT

Well.
        I know nothing about the PS in question, but typically on williams
power supplies, given that symptom here is what I would suspect....

        There are two major parts to the supply...a regulator (typically a
723) and a power transistor (darlington pair...or whatever). The regulator
sets the voltage to a particular level, and feeds that to the transistor.
The transistor then supplies the current neccesary to drive the circuit at
the given voltage. If the transistor cannot provide the neccessary current,
ohm's law says that the voltage will drop. So the regulator is probably
fine, but the transistor is baked.

        This is my experience on williams linear supplies, so your milage
may vary.

Mike