WG 6100 tube replacement - followup

From: Paul Tonizzo <tonizzo_at_sybase.com>
Date: Wed Nov 11 1998 - 09:00:33 EST

A couple weeks back I posted an inquiry about a suitable tube
replacement for a 6100 (original tube# is 19VLUP22).
I'm posting the results of my efforts (kinda long)...

I got a reply from DangerWil@aol.com stating he had successfully
used a tube from a WG K4600 by keeping the magnets from the K4600
and using the yoke from the original 6100 tube. He also stated that he
got it to converge quite well.

Given this information, I visited an operator friend and discovered that
there were no K4600's to be found. They are pretty old raster monitors
and the couple he did have were in machines and were badly burned. :'(
While there, I noted a couple Disco monitors on the shelf - apparently, the
chassis boards for these were really poor and thus they often died long
before the tube could get any burn-in on it. Sure enough, the tubes were
in excellent shape - if I hadn't known better, I would have guessed they
were new. The tube number for this tube is 19VKUP22.

A quick post to the group about the tube got me a reply from Clay stating
that he had transferred this tube to a G-07 and had excellent results. I
figured I had nothing to lose and decided to try it in the 6100.

The first thing I noticed was that the neck pinout had two extra pins.
Lots of
digging revealed that an extra grid is supported by these two extra pins
and they can be ignored (in fact, an old technical journal I read stated
that
early G-07's did not have the extra grid but that the tube could still
be used in them). Going on the assumption that I could ignore the grid as
well, I desoldered the neck socket from the Disco neck board and
replaced the one on the 6100 's neck board with it. The socket fits
perfectly
and yes, the holes were there for the extra pins but they just go nowhere.

I then marked the magnet placement on the disco tube, removed them
and removed the yoke. I put the 6100 yoke on and then carefully replaced
the Disco's magnets exactly where they originally were. After that, all
that was required was to reassemble the rest of the chassis and setup
convergence. The end result is what looks like a brand new 6100.
On top of that, I got it to converge perfectly! :')

There is a small thing to note though.
The profile of this tube has a much more pronounced bow from the top of
the tube to the neck. As a result, the tube from screen to neck is about 2
inches
longer. This has 2 results:

1. The overall length of the monitor is longer then the original. In my
Space
Duel cabinet, there is not quite enough room for the monitor IF I use the
original
mounting holes in the cabinet. Luckily, there is plenty of rom to move the
monitor closer to the front of the cabinet and drill new holes. I can't
speak
for other cabinets though.

2. The more pronounced bow in the tube means that the HV cage just touches
the tube. To fix this, you can either use some washers to space the HV
unit
back about 1/4 inch or you can just bend the top right corner of the cage
slightly
so that there is some clearance.

Soooo, if you're looking for a tube replacement for your WG6100, here's
what you can use:
19VLUP22 (original tube)
19VJTP22 (WG K4600 tube)
19VKUP22 (Disco tube)

For the K4600 and Disco tube, use the tube's magnets and the 6100's yoke.
I would also hazard a guess that G-07 tubes will also work fine (given the
Disco
tube works in a G-07).

I hope this helps someone else,

Paul