Re: Tech: Amplifone Deflection Board

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 09:33:13 EST

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Al Warner wrote:

> It was bound to happen to me. I was recapping my Amplifone and I
> accidentally reversed the transistors at Q16 & Q17. Upon powering up I
> blew a fuse and it appears that R26 and R31 went up in flames and
> smoke. My question is, did I do any more damage than this? I suspect
> C12, C13 and R30 too. Any advice would be graciously appreciated.

        Probably, yes. Check the pre-driver transistors (the MPS-U07
and MPS-U57 transistors) and everything "upstream" of the power
transistors.

        Also, be aware that you should probably use Low-ESR caps. in the
HV unit. Gregg Woodcock's XY FAQ gives some pointers where to get these
caps. The ones in the Zanen kit are not Low-ESR. When you're dealing
with $190 flybacks, don't skimp on the caps.

Joe