Re: Free FPGA design tools...

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 14:46:06 EST

> The old days model of "we supply the chips, we supply the burners,
> we supply the software" is gone... or should be...

Sorry to continue the off topic... If they don't supply the software, then
someone else has to, and they will have to charge for it. When I was doing
PIC software at Ford, Microchip provided a C compiler and assembler, but
they recommended that we use the HI-Tech compiler because it was better.
It seems the chip makers can't produce good tools because it's "not
part of the core business", so they let someone else do it and charge
for the tools...

Just my 2 cents,

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.