PCI ASICs

From: Al Kossow <aek_at_spies.com>
Date: Sat Dec 19 1998 - 13:32:28 EST

There are a bunch of cool parts now with PCI interfaces. I hadn't heard about
the Quicklogic part, but it sounds like it would make an interesting interface
for a deep trace buffer board. PLX has a part with an embedded PowerPC core, and
Motorola's 56301 would be easy to use as well (you should be able to do the whole
design with a 56301, two 12 bit DACs, and an 8 bit DAC along with a few buffers)
I hadn't looked at the 56301 before, but I just bought a PCI SPDIF/AES card which
has one on it and I was impressed by how few parts were on the board.

The part has 3k of program and 2k of X and Y ram, along with 3 timers, so that's
probably enough to have basic functionality, perhaps curved lines, too.