RE: BattleZone probs....

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 17:46:17 EST

> The reason you're replacing the sockets is because the original
> manufacturer used some cheapo sockets to begin with.
>
> Why not head off future similar problems by using machine pin sockets
> instead of more cheapo sockets?

For my $$$ I like just the "standard" dual-wipe sockets from JDR or
Jameco. Most of the machined Augat sockets I have are gold-contact,
which can cause those weird oxide-blackening problems I mentioned
before.

I think the rule of thumb is to use sockets of the same metal type that
the pins on your IC's are. (at least for the long term)

I do use the "good" machined-pin sockets for stuff that I take in and
out of the board a lot.

-Clay