Telnet to POP3 mail (was RE: Need 6502 timing info)

From: Keith, Brendan <Brendan.Keith_at_wilcom.com>
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 23:48:29 EST

> From: zonn@zonn.com[SMTP:zonn@zonn.com]
>
> As far as telneting in, this depends on your ISP, I had different options
> when
> choosing the level of support from my ISP. I happen to choose one that
> allowed
> telneting in. There were levels (a little cheaper) that didn't allow
> telneting,
> so it's possible that some have ISP that require you to download to remove
> (depending on you email software).

Even if your ISP doesn't provide shell access, if you are using a POP3
mail service (like there's any other kind) you'll still be able to telnet
into
the mail server. You'd be connecting exactly the same way your mail
program does. Same thing with news servers.

Sure it's possible, doesn't mean it's fun.

Personally, I use Exchange and it shows me a list of all emails
and their sizes so I know how much to expect. And if the bulky
part is an attachment, I can still read just the text without downloading
the large part of it.

Brendan Keith
brendan.keith@wilcom.com