Re: remapping controls

From: Franklin Bowen <fbowen_at_balt.checkfree.com>
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 09:08:55 EST

I did something like that but manually. I came up with my own Atari
Standard Vector Connecter (I think 72 pin .156" edge connecter) and then
made a conversion harness from my BW cab to ASVC input (adding some extra
control signals) and then conversion harnesses for all my XY boards to ASVC
output. The hard part is the control panels. I put a Tempest spinner into
my BW control panel (SORRY!) and play SD/Grav/Asteroids from my SD control
panel. I had to put my own connecters on the control panels. And I don't
have a Quantum so I haven't had to deal with the trackball. Also, I don't
like my BZ setup because I have fire wired to the left/rights of the BW
sticks. And I still play Star Wars with a little PC analog joystick.

I haven't posted my ASVC stuff because it needs work. The 72 pin connecter
is just too big. Plugging and unplugging it is a hassle. I also made my
BW to ASVC out wiring 3-4 feet long so I could change the game from the
front of the cab but it isn't worth it. I get a 0.5-1V drop across this
section and it's very heavy. Almost need to clamp the connecter to the
shelves I built to keep it from pulling the board out of the cab!

I also want to change my horizontal shelves to vertical seperators because
of Star Wars and Tempest being boardsets. I don't feel comfortable laying
then down so I put spacers/standoffs on them but then the boards bow
because they're not the "right" length.

John Robertson <jrr@flippers.com> on 02/10/99 01:35:06 AM

Please respond to vectorlist@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu