Lunar Lander?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 20:31:54 EST

Hi everybody.

So, does Lunar Lander have a self-test mode like Asteroids?
(Cross-hatch, etc.)

I got tired of soldering multigames this weekend and decided to fix some
Asteroids boards. I got them all running and noticed some prototype
Lunar Lander schematics lying around... One thing led to another and
with a little tinkering and a lot of code-patching I have the beginnings
of an Asteroids/Lunar Lander/Ast. Deluxe multigame stumbling along.

I think I have all of Lunar Lander patched to work on Asteroids, but
something's not quite happy yet. Maybe something wrong with my my
mapping of DMAGO and HALT. Code runs, but I get no display. If I
manually trigger DMAGO (forcing a display) I get all the mountains and
Lunar Lander stuff. Looks like I might be stuck waiting for an ack from
the vector generator.

Has anyone noticed that one of the Lunar Lander Vector ROMs is all FF's?
(At least the set I have off the net.) That can't be right, can it?

Oh, anyone that fancies themselves an expert 6502 assembly coder really
needs to sit down with the schematics to Asteroids or Lunar Lander and a
disassembly of the code and go over it. Wow. Clever lads...

Well, if anyone knows any interesting Lunar Lander technical tidbits I'd
be curious to hear 'em.

-Clay

P.S. (the hardware right now looks like two PCB's-- one little ROM
daughtercard for the Vector ROM, and one for the CPU socket. The CPU
board will have a POKEY chip on it for Ast. Delux sound. I've remapped
the Lunar Lander sounds to the original Asteroids sounds. 'though
thrust doesn't have volume or pitch control...)