RE: Lunar Lander on Asteroids. :-)

From: jeff hendrix <jhendrix_at_quark.com>
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 16:35:43 EST

Clay,
        Lunar Lander does use the same landscape over and over again.
I had thought about hacking it and making a random landscape (too bad
there's not a pokey chip on LL, since there's not one, you would have to
write a random number generator).
Another option would be to have several landscapes prebuilt and just select
from one of them. (this would be real easy, just start a counter from the
time someone puts a coin in until the game starts, then just mask off the
high bits and use the number to select the terrain)
The only thing I don't know is how they do the collision detection (as well
as the height above landscape), they either calculate it from the map or
there is a table somewhere else in memory they use that matches the map. (If
they do it from another table, it could be a real pain to change the
landscape)

Let me know if you want me to start hacking through the code (I can do this
when I get board of working on my color space wars, and when I'm not doing
homework)

-jeff