RE: Lunar Lander on Asteroids. :-)

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 20:36:34 EST

> I got one! Analog thrust for Asteroids (solves the thrust/button
> thing
> with LL/Ast) I always wanted more control with thrust. Max thrust
> could be a lot more aggressive than the current thrust accelleration.

Hey, that would be cool! (Trivia-- my Color Asteroid mod was orignally
for Tempest. I was going to use the spinner to control the ship like in
Blasteroids. Super-zapper would be thrust, fire is fire, and P2 start
hyperspace. I'd modify the code to scale the font smaller and put them
on the right-side of the screen (top of screen in Tempest))...

> Also, it'd be fun to tinker with Gorf-line shooting: fire 4 shots,
> when
> you fire a 5th one, the 1st shot disappears. It would change game
> play
> quite a bit (you'll always have shots to protect yourself), but I have
> no idea for the better or for the worse.

Interesting. Wouldn't be too bad. Change the shot queue into a
circular queue...

> Similarly, give the saucers the same number of shots that you have.

I have a feeling that increasing the number of shots might really hit
the game speed. That nasty old geometric expansion of collision
detection happening... Asteroids has always amazed me for being able to
keep up with that many objects moving around. I wrote an Asteroids
clone on the Super Nintendo and with 64 rocks on the screen I could only
collision detect 14 missiles simultaneously. I didn't have the objects
sorted very well though either, so there was room for improvement.

> Of course, suggestions are easy for folks like Mark Jenison and me
> since
> we don't think in assembler ;-)

Yeah, and I'm still learning to think in "Atari in the 80's" assembler.
They were definately very, very clever programmers...

        -Clay