Re: Asteroids sound in Deluxe CT??

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_Agouron.COM>
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 11:24:23 EST

Franklin Bowen wrote:

> There is a difference (the audio is 10x the other?). I thought Ray G.
> documented a way to make them both work in the same harness but I don't
> remember if he started with an AD or not.

I started with an Asteroids. Basically, the audio/regulator boards are
different for the two games. With AD, the level coming off the PCB is
10x that on Asteroids.

You can either hack the A/R board or you can replace a single resistor
on the Asteroids board (go from a unity gain to a 10x gain on the last
output stage). I don't have the schematics handy, but compare the audio
output stage on the PCB for AD and Ast, and the resistor to be changed
should be obvious.

I modified the A/R board to adjust for the gain because I didn't want to
modify the game PCB (I've always bitched about operator hacks that have
mucked up boards I was trying to fix, and didn't want folks to bitch
about me ;-)

Ray