Astreoids Deluxe?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 19:07:56 EST

Anyone else ever play around in the Asteroids Deluxe firmware?

I was patching the RAMSEL (memory bank selection) last night so it runs
on a stock Asteroids board and noticed that even though I had patched
all the program ROMs, I was still getting bad bank selects. To my
considerable suprise, I found that a *lot* of the extra Vector ROM on
Deluxe is used for 6502 code!

Soooo.... this might be a useful thing to know for anyone doing
board-level repair. I had a board missing the second Vector ROM-- I
expected the game to work, but have bad graphics or something. Instead,
it wouldn't run at all. Not suprising now that I know that a lot of
(critical) code is stored in there! Go figure.

Also, anyone know how Deluxe's large UFO logic works? (As in, what's
the 'normal' ratio of shots it takes at asteroids vs. the player ship?)
 From my playing around without a POKEY chip (to generate the "random"
numbers) the large UFO is REALLY deadly. Like probably ALL the shots
are directed at the player. It's accurate too! Mean bastard...

-Clay