RE: Logic Analyzer

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Feb 25 1999 - 12:26:15 EST

> 9010s have been going pretty cheap too.. they show up on eBay in the
> $100
> every once in a while.. a 9100 is a hell of a lot more powerful than
> the
> 9010 because it can store its programs on a hard drive, and provide a
> couple hundred channels of feedback/stimulus through 4 I/O pods.

The 9100 scares me though. I really don't like having that HD in there.
Yeah, it's kinda cool to watch your test equipment boot HP/UX, but when
that drive lunches itself you're screwed. I double it's an easily
image-able format, and I can imagine a replacement from HP is in the
four-figure range...

        [Fluke 9100] I could take a pic of my keyboard so people
> who dont have one could know what the keys do..

I'd really like to see what it looks like. I got a 9100 surplus which I
passed on to ChrisR, but never did see the keyboard at the same place
(had the monitor though I think? Chris?). They have bins and bins of
keyboards though so I'd like to look through them knowing what to try to
find.

> I just picked up a Tek 1241 and just playing around with it last night
> found probably thhe most useful feature for skimming around is the
> knob :>
> I dont think the HP1630 series has a knob.. I think the 1650s do but
> they
> are pretty damn expensive when the 1630 is all you'd probably need.
> I've
> never used an HP one so I'll shut up.

Yep. You are correct. The knob is cool. Probably the single best
feature over the 1630's. Someone was asking me about a Tek 1230? I've
never seen one-- not in my 1988 catalog either. :-/

The 1240/1241 had all sorts of funky features-- like "teleservicing".
You can remote control one from another by modem. Uses the RS232 port
and 12RC02 "Master/Slave ROM Pack".

> there are a couple other features the 1241 has over the 1240, mainly
> just
> the fact that is can expand the timing diagram to fit the entire
> vertical
> screen height and that fact that its color, but thats about it.

Seems like there's some other technical difference w/ the 1241... Might
have had to do with memory chaining capability or something. The 1240
has a composite video output that the 1241 *doesn't* have though...

> the screen
> on that thing is cool! I've never seen anything like that before.. its
> called a LCCS, Liquid Crystal Color Shutter display. it uses a mono
> green
> CRT with an LCD panel over it and a touchscreen over that. It can make
> 3
> colors, R G and Y and somehow it makes the screen look red and yellow
> even
> though it looks like the LCD is half an inch away.. there is some kind
> of
> wierd polarizing trick going on there..

Funky, isn't it? If you "look past" it fast (without focusing your
eyes) the colors will be all screwed up -- kinda like seeing the refresh
on a monitor. It's odd...

> the mnemonics packs are
> impossible to get.. I only found one at $100 for 68020. I
> guess you can program your own in though if you have a RAM
> pack? I'm not too sure on that one.. The RAM packs seem to be not all
> that
> elusive, but at least $100 each..

RAM packs are out there for reasonable dollars. I had NO luck finding
the mnemonic packs (and they designed and built the thing here). I
finally had a Tek employee catch a want-ad from me and send it to the
"right person" at Tek and got in touch with someone there that knew
about them. He made me 6502, 6809, 68HC11, and Z80 packs in exchange
for a bunch of Diamond hardware I bought through my employee purchase
account. I'll look into making a multi-mnemonic cart 'cause I *know*
how hard it is to find the ROM packs! They're really cool, but a pain
to hook up unless you can dedicate some leadsets to a 40-pin DIP clip...

> Id say go with a Tek because Clay has one :>
> I'll be first in line for a mnemonics multicart..

:-) We still have a 1240 here at Diamond (from our Supra Corp. days).
It's still useful and the only thing the engineers really like to use.
(the Tek is just soooooo easy to setup and use compared to the
HP16550...)

-Clay