Re: vector projector

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 13:28:08 EST

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Bill Paul wrote:

> Being slightly familiar with projectors, the one thing I can tell you is
> that the reason for the liquid (Glycol) on the tube is that they run
> extremely bright. I have a feeling that if you were to slow the beam
> movement dow for a vector game, it would instantly burn the CRT face. In
> fact many of these types of projectors have a scan failure detection that
> will kill the beam. On the types that don't have scan failure, you usually
> have to replace the burnt tube if the vertical went away even for a second.
> Anode voltages run up over 80KV to give you some idea of how bright.
> That said, I suppose it would be pretty cool if someone could make it work.
> -BP

I dunno though.. I was just looking at it and on the input connector for
the HV cage it feeds it the DC juice and the H and V sync... coudlnt you
just leave all the regular video stuff in there, feed it any old
video signal just to keep the HV on.. and the Gun and the yoke can be
seperate? It seems to me thats how the regular vector monitors work..

I dont think the HV is all that High in this thing, but I may be wrong.
the CRT is covered in heavy metal that even has all the joints sealed with
metal tape. I've had to repair my Barco CRT projector before and it has 3
7" CRTs running at 37.5KV. I'd say an 8" one is a little higher so I'm not
gonna go near this with my 40KV HV probe. Of course I think the CRT
requires quite a lot at the gun end too.. the Barco has 199v going to the
gun when the CRT is BLACK.. it was REALLY scary when it broke, the red CRT
went full blast, which is nuclear bright for these things.. luckily I was
sitting right next to it so it was off in less than 3 seconds. it was just
a stupid solder joint.

I can see how working on these things could be scary.. you could get a
nice tan if you are not careful. The offer is still on the table though :>

Jeff