Cine sound questions

From: Alan McCormick <henson_at_terracom.net>
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 03:12:20 EST

Here's a question I'd like to throw out to the Cinematronics gurus
(Paul/Kurt, Zonn, etc)

I'm using a modified version of Retrocade to "test" some Cine sound boards
since I don't have a working Cine setup. It pumps the output of the sound
port to the parallel port.

The interface looks like this...

Parallel port data00-->Cine sound data0
Parallel port data01-->Cine sound data1
Parallel port data02-->Cine sound data2
Parallel port data03-->Cine sound data3
Parallel port data04-->Cine sound data4
Parallel port data07-->Cine sound data7

I do have a noninverting buffer to isolate the soundboard from my parallel
port just in case something goes funky on the soundboard side.

My first question: The game boards I have only use sound data lines
0,1,2,3,4 & 7. Do any of the other Cine vector games have a different
layout? Why did they skip bits 5 & 6?

Secondly, I was told by another collector that WOTW used a slightly modified
sound board from another game. What was the game and what was the mod?

I plan on taping & digitizing the sounds for use in Retrocade but I'm sure
they would be of use to the Cine hackers in developing the fabled "universal
sound board".

Once I'm done with this, I need to scan an article I found in an old Science
81 magazine called "Shootout at the Arcade" or something like that. It
follows the development of Star Castle and Black Knight. There is one really
interesting photo of a Cine dev platform with a manual for UCSD Pascal in
plain view. The pinball stuff is neat too with pics of a whitewood BK
running on William's pin dev platform.

I'm sending this from another account since I'm pretty sure mail from Juno
gets "lost" fairly often. Gee, mail that has a "faked" Juno address - must
be spam...plunk goes the spam into the bit bucket...

Thanks for any pointers

Virtu-Al