RE: AM6012

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 20:05:23 EST

> Thanks... There's a "gotcha" in buying these-- the last ones I
> ordered
> were "AM6012D" which to me meant ceramic. But the manufacturer of
> these
> particular parts (I don't think they were AMD) used "D" to mean
> surface-mount, SOJ. Suprise! (That's why I did all those SOJ->DIP
> boards a while back. Those of you that bought the replacement AM6012's
> from me know of which I speak... ;-)

Heh... Yes, I'm following up to myself. I just bought the remainder of
some stock from Marshall-- the AM6012D from Philips is indeed a surface
mount package! I'm going to try to make an "all in one" vector DAC
replacement board-- something tiny that will plug into either an AM6012
socket (Star Wars, BattleZone, Space Duel, etc.) or an AD561 socket (for
Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Sega Vector games, etc.)

As another "oh, by the way". I got some 74LS399's from JDR to fix one
of my old Asteroids boards-- bought brand new from JDR they're 1979 date
code chips! I have a feeling those were only done for a short while and
any stock that's out there is probably "original". I had three dead
ones on my Asteroids board... (most Asteroids boards seem to have the
'157/'175 mux/latch replacement instead...

-Clay