Re: vectorlist auction policy

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 16:32:08 EST

Guys,

        While there hasn't been an overwhelming outcry to this latest
"decree" which really wasn't meant to be a decree, ther've been enough
negative vibes to require some clarification, IMHO.

        First of all, to clear up the policy of the vectorlist (about
which there seems to be some confusion.) Under "official" vectorlist
policy, the vectorlist is and always has been for technical discussion
about vector-based arcade games. NO commerce. The mindset being that
there are plenty of places on the net to buy games, boards, etc besides
the vectorlist.

        Back when the vectorlist was "young" and there weren't many
subscribers, people found it to be a convenient way to trade things
amongst themselves, giving "vector-heads" first crack at items. Also,
since we all sort of "knew" each other (from around the net, anyways)
prices tended to be lower, just because people always give "friends" a
better deal on stuff, and we knew the stuff was going to a good home.
  My personal feeling about this was that this was acceptable commerce
on the vectorlist, because it usually meant that people were getting good
deals on stuff, and getting first crack at it.

        Now, the vectorlist has many more subscribers, many of whom I've
never heard of. This is great, because it shows that that many more
people are involved in the discussion of vector games, or are benefiting
for those discussions. However, it creates a kind of awkward situation
when it comes to commerce, because everybody doesn't "know" everybody
else. Again, these are my personal feelings.

        In discussion that we had about this topic about a year ago, I
think we mistakenly quantified things be saying what I said above -- The
only acceptable commerce is that which involves a "good deal" (i.e. some
sort of discount) or a "first crack."

        The point is, obviously there are some exceptions to the "no
commerce rule" but I don't think they can really be categorized
specifically. Basically, the idea is that any vectorlist commerce should
be something that you really can't get anywhere else (i.e. eBay, RGVAC,
etc.) That may mean a discount, that may mean a "first crack," or it may
mean something else.

        In an ideal world, everybody would "just know" what was
appropriate commerce for the vectorlist (or just use their best
judgement before spamming the vectorlist with commerce.) However,
because of people apparent lack of judgement recently (spamming with
eBay auction announcements, etc) Paul's idea was that if you think your
commerce may be one of these exceptional cases, run it by us first, and
we, in our infinite wisdom will decide. Of course, as another vectorlist
member put it, this kind of gives us a "parental" or "babysitter" kind of
role, which is not our intention and something neither of us want.

        It would be real easy to just post a "Use better judgement" post
and leave things like that, but IMHO, people just haven't been getting it
recently as far as what is and isn't appropriate commerce for the
vectorlist, so we came up with this. Suggestions are encouraged, as
I, for one, find this policy-making/shaping stuff very awkward (That's why
I'm an engineer, not a manager!)

        So, for now, until we come up with something better, we'll stick
with the draconian "No commerce unless we say it's OK" policy. Violators
of this policy will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of our authority,
which, fortunately, is pretty much limited, right now, to me or Paul
sending you a nasty email.

        No apologies are necessary from anyone (see below) -- the policy
wasn't clear. Now, hopefully, it's clearer.

Joe

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Peter McDermott wrote:

> I'd like to apologize if I've offended anyone's kinder sensibilities by
> posting the items for auction earlier. In retrospect, the proper course
> of action would have been for me to send an e-mail either to the list
> moderators or the list itself asking if it was okay to post items for
> auction with discount. I didn't do it. I promise not to post auction
> items again and not to post anything questionable without consulting the
> moderators first.
>
> But, while I'm not as sure now, at the time I posted the message I was
> under the distinct impression that someone had posted that it was
> acceptable to put auctions on the list if there was a discount for list
> members. The clarified policy, of course, overrides this. I only state
> this so that those who may be miffed by my transgression of the spirit
> of the rules not think too ill of me for my motivations. I really
> didn't feel that I was sneaking around any agreements.
>
> Well, I guess I just wasn't thinking which is pretty embarrassing
> considering I like to think I'm a pretty smart guy.
>
> I really appreciate the quality of discussion on this list and realize
> that I probably marred that if only for a few moments by posting for
> auction what really were some pretty common items. So take care, all,
> and thanks for letting me stay, Paul and Joe!
>
> -Peter
>
> Paul Labuda wrote:
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for the opportunity to set this in stone. Joe called me about this
> > message, and we hammered together this vectorlist policy, effective
> > immediately:
> >
> > NO AUCTION POSTS. NO FOR SALE POSTS. Nada. Zip. Nothing.
> >
> <snip>
>

> > - Paul Labuda
> > longhorn@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760