Re: Cinematronics/Vectorbeam questions from the UK??

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Apr 26 1999 - 20:46:09 EDT

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:49:16 +0100, "Bazil D'Oliveira"
<veclist@pyramidm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone tell me how to 'make' if it is possible, a color War of the
>Worlds ?
>Can you modify a Boxing Bugs or something else like that?

Yes, I built one, it's pretty cool. You need the Boxing Bugs ColorCine -> WG
board, and the WOTW sound board (which is a modified Star Castle board).

You leave the Color board wired just as it is with Boxing Bugs, replace the
Boxing Bugs CPU/Soundboard with the WOTW CPU/Soundboard, make sure the jumper on
the WOTW CPU that says NORM/VAR is moved to the VAR position.

And of course you are using a Star Castle control panel, right?

It's best to move everything to a Star Castle cabinet, I wouldn't even dream of
hacking a Boxing Bugs cabinet (just typing this sentence is making me
nauseous!).

I used the smoked glass from a Tempest to give it a really cool look. The glass
will slide right into place on a Star Castle.

>Did Demon ever appear in a dedicated cab with artwork & marquee or was
>it just a development/proto board? Any other info?

The artwork on the side simply read Rockola, the control panel contains the
instructions, and I believe there was an overlay that simply colored the
polygons on the screen.

I believe Steve O. has the only known soundboard. (and overlay?)

I have a cabinet without the overlay, and one of the Rockola side stickers
peeled off.

Me and Steve are just waiting for the other to die so we could have a fully
functional machine! ;^)

>Does anybody have on their website, or a scan which they could e.mail me
>of the flyer/photo for Barrier. I'm particularly interested to know if
>the original screen glass was printed or just smoked?
>
>Does anyone actually have a Sundance? Or are they gone forever?

I have a Sundance, and I believe Joe W. also owns one.

>What was/is Rocket Racer ??

A (so far) very elusive game, along with Oops! probably lost forever.

-Zonn