RE: Space Duel mod?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 13:28:55 EDT

> All I want is a Space Duel mod that makes you able to survive the
> "fuse"
> in a 2-player connected game. Just like the early version I saw once
> upon
> a time.

That's a good idea too. I didn't get to put any time in on Space Duel
stuff. Oddly enough I actually ran into a difficult problem on Breakout
(of all things) that has me scratching my head for the last couple days.
(Basically it's how to decide *where* I've hit a brick and thus pick a
proper direction to "bounce". I'm doing it "wrong" now and the ball has
a tendency to bounce around wiping out lots of bricks at once. Ooops.)

On another note-- anyone care to comment on how a "real" Breakout
behaves? Specifically I'm curious how the ball hitting the paddle acts.
(I *think* that hits near the center tend to decrease the x-velocity of
the ball, while hits near the edge of the paddle tend to increase the
x-velocity. Unless the hit it on the "near" side of the paddle in which
case a reversal of the velocity is in order. So, a hit near the center
tend to bounce the ball more "up" and a hit to the edge bounces the ball
more "sideways", but hitting an incoming ball on the "near" side of the
paddle as it come in tends to bounce the ball back in the same
direction.)

I think I need to go find an Atari 2600 and Breakout cart during lunch.
;-)

> Actually I just thought of a mod for Tempest (now that the
> Tempest multi-game kit is finished right? Good timing, hmmm?) How
> about
> rotating all the text 90 degrees and placing it on the left and right
> of
> the playfield? That way it could be in a Tempest cabinet converted
> for
> Major Havoc and you wouldn't have to rotate the monitor back or squish
> it
> with swapped X & Y. Or has someone on this list already thought of
> this?

The text is probably do-able, but the rest of the display is generated
by the Mathbox, which I presently regard as some sort of mystical beast
that shouldn't be messed with. ;-)

A long while back on the Sega Multigame I recommended adding a couple of
solid-state potentiometers to control the X and Y gain and centering and
having a software controlled width/height/center adjustment. An analog
switch could swap the X/Y axis too. That would probably work here as
well. (Overkill, but it'd be a fun project. Xicor makes some EEPOT
parts that are solid-state pots that keep their last value when the
power is off so your settings are automatically restored on power-up
until you'd choose a different game...)

-Clay