Re: Game design...

From: Miranda K. Collins <miranda_at_angel.com>
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 14:42:39 EDT

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Doug Jefferys wrote:

> Request: Monochrome options on these vector ports. I'm a great
> fan of those insanely-bright Asteroids bullets, and I've never
> seen anything like them on a color screen. (Vector Breakout and
> Warlords would be seriously cool with eye-burning single-point
> balls... I wonder if you could vary the point's intensity for a
> fireball-like effect in Warlords :-)

I love that effect too, but is there really any reason that you can't do
that on a color screen? I always assumed that the way they did that was
to re-draw each shot several times per frame while drawing everything else
only once. I also assumed that the reason they didn't do it on the color
games is that they all had more going on and doing that would take too
much time away from the other shapes and cause flickering. Could someone
confirm this? Did I assume right? What does Asteroids look like on a
color monitor? I have never seen one.

Miranda