Re: cool flyer finds

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 17:03:28 EDT

On Fri, 14 May 1999 07:06:59 -0400 (EDT), Jeff Anderson <mayday19@idt.net>
wrote:

>In the article was a shot of Larry
>Rosenthal and Dan Sunday at "vectorbeam's engineering computer."

Speaking of Dan Sunday, I received some email from him that was pretty
interesting, I've been meaning to post it, so I spent some time and cleaned it
up and here it is.

For the record, I've talked with Scott Boden's ex-wife who denies that
Vectorbeam had anything to do with Star Castle, but that Star Castle was written
by Scott Boden.

I had always heard that Star Castle was designed by Tim Skelly and programmed by
Scott Boden. Maybe Tim Skelly got his ideas after going over some old Dan
Sunday code?

You be the judge...

-Zonn

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 20:35:46 -0400
Subject: Vectorbeam history

I found it interesting there is still an interest in the Cinematronics /
Vectorbeam story.

My name is Dan Sunday. I was a friend of Larry Rosenthal's, and when he broke
from Cinematronics to start Vectorbeam I became his lead (and only)
programmer.

Vectorbeam lasted for one year, and was then bought by Cinematronics at which
time I left. During the year of VB existence, we (Larry and myself)
designed and programmed the following video arcade games:

    * Scramble
    * Speed Freak
    * Tailgunner
    * some word game whose name I can't remember
    * Star Castle

The first three were marketed by VB in that year. The last one, Star Castle,
was not fully completed when Cinematronics bought VB and it. We had the
inner castle rotating rings and bricks working, as well as the attacking
space ships. I don't know who took over the completion of this game, but it
was conceived and initially developed by Larry and myself. (There is actually
a very amusing story concerning the origin of this game, which I may tell if
there is sufficient interest in it).

When Larry sold VB, for 2 million dollars, Cinematronics said they would keep
me on as a programmer, but it was a big let down for me at the time after
helping make VB a winning company and hoping for better.

So, you may want to append your history with this info.

Regards,

- Dan Sunday