G05-801 HV Prob

From: Dave Downin <downin_at_smarty.smart.net>
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 00:24:11 EDT

I'm trying to fix a semi-dead G05-801 monitor in an Asteroids. I do get a
display, but it appears to be fluctuating and showing signs of blooming due to
low HV. And my HV transformer starts squeeling after about 10-20 seconds of
being on.

I've got the following voltages:

90V line: 45V
Focus: 120V
G2: 43V

I've checked all the diodes, and they appear to be good...but what exactly are
D901 & D902 ... they are listed as VG 2X and are rather long for a diode. The
manual simply lists them as "regulator". I couldn't find a cross for these
diodes either.

I replaced all the electrolytic caps (3 of them). And I've tested all the
transistors (with the exception of the SCR). I've also checked all the
resistors.

I'm starting to suspect that I'm in need of a new HV transformer and/or that
big voltage doubler. Is there any way I can tell for sure that I need a new
transformer before going out and buying a new one? Also, were could I find a
HV transformer for this monitor? BTW, visual inspection of the transformer
doesn't show any cracks..

--
Dave Downin (dave@arlo.net)
        "Sorry, the world is nuts.  It can't be helped" - Arlo Guthrie