RE: on or off

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 18:17:19 EDT

> Is there a general understanding about whether a game should be left
> on or
> off when not being played? I don't play my Battlezone every day and
> generally leave it off when I'm not playing it. My thought has been
> extend the monitor life. Sometimes I'll end up plugging in three
> times in
> one day and I wonder if turning it off and on isn't causing more wear.

It might depend on how much you play. I turn mine off, but then I'm
usually playing *with* the games and not actually *playing* the games.
;-) If you play on them a couple times a day every day might be better
to let 'em run.

Seems like games die when you turn them on or off, IMHO. On the other
hand, vector monitors with all their hard-to-deal-with parts are
probably better off being powered down? (And watchdog timers/spot
killers or not, I don't like leaving vectors on without me around incase
something pops and leaves the beam on and trying to burn through the
glass... and I definately don't leave my GO-8 unattended for fear of
burning the house down. ;-)

Hmmmm. Maybe we need to start keeping track of "urban legends" for
video games? (Not sure if flames from the cabinet of Sega G-80 systems
is legend or not though...)

-Clay