Re: Tempest-- (AKA, Clay and Zonn beating each other's brains out)

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 00:29:13 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/99 7:33:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ClayC@diamondmm.com writes:

<< But then again I've *always* thought of "continues" as cheating. >>

Yessirr. the "modern" continue makes me sick. All of these kiddies "I beat
this game, I beat that game.... blahh, blahhh blaahhh.."
They didn't beat anything but themselves. They died, and started over again
from where they died, before they were good enough to actually make it there.
Then, (on most modern games) they are able to see the end before they are
good enough, and they rarely want to play the game again.
I agree with the way the continue works in Tempest, it was innovation in it's
day and was able to fetch more quarters from many players. Tempest does not
have an end, and I don't think it's possible to get sick of the game. I do
HATE the way continue works in most modern arcade games, and most home games.