Tech: G08

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 15:36:10 EDT

Hi all,

I have two G08 monitors which I'm having trouble debugging.

They both have known good HV units and known good deflection transistors. Both
of them sound like they are deflecting correctly, but no picture is showing up,
and no HV is on.

One seems to not be generating the 9.1V (is this AC, or DC?). Anyway, I was
wondering if anyone knew which part was regulating this voltage. Is it the
TIP29B, or is it regulated by the HV, or by the custom chip in the deflection
board.

It amazes me that we have such good documentation on repairs of the WG6100 and
Cinematronics monitor, but there is no good repair guide for the G08. I tried
to make one (or at least the template for one), but it needs more technical
meat from the gurus. See here:

http://www.enteract.com/~jenison/mars/faq/G08.FAQ

If anyone wants to contribute to the document, let me know. Thanks!

Mark Jenison / __/ /_/ / / / | // | / |__ __/ _ /__ \ Sega/Gremlin
cig.mot.com /_/|_| /_/ /____/_/|_| Arcade Games
____________ The One and Only 4-player vector game ____________
                       when the monitor is working