Re: Sega XY - free play revisited

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 10:05:38 EDT

Yes, this is very similar to how I've got free play set up on my 4-player
Eliminator. It's all about timing the pressing of the button so that it
represents a coin rolling over the switch. However, when you've got four
people trying to do this at the same time, and everytime someone mis-times it,
the CPU locks up temporarily, it's get's really annoying really fast.

On my upright, there doesn't seem to be that timing issue if you directly hook
up a credit button in place of the coin switch.

On Jun 5, 9:44am, Mike Saul wrote:
> Subject: Sega XY - free play revisited
> I just got a dedicated Star Trek upright that was apparently bought new from
the factory as a home machine. Inside was the following document:

> INSTRUCTIONS FOR FREE PLAY
> --------------------------
>
> This game has been set at the factory to permit free
> game play using the player start push buttons to simu-
> late coin insertion and start the game.
>
> Press and release the desired start button (1 player
> start or 2 player start) rapidly to simulate coins
> passing through the coin mechanism.
>
> Initially when power is first applied to the game, 2
> or 3 depressions of the start buttons will be required
> to store sufficient credits to initiate game play.
> Subsequent depressions will usually add one credit and
> start the game simultaneously.
>
> If game is not starting, and credits are not being stored,
> button is being held in too long [Tap Button Quickly]
> If credits are being stored, but game does not start,
> push and release start button firmly.
>
> [Caution, if start button is held in too
> long, the game may reset to the initial
> zero credit condition]
>

> 420-1015-00
> Free Play Instruction Sheet
>
> Since I recall the subject of Sega free play came up a while back, I thought
somebody might be interested in the "officially" supported free play method. It
looks like all they did was add an extra wire from each of the player start
buttons directly to the coin switch ON connections at connector P2. Player 1
to Switch 1 on, Player 2 to Switch 2 on. As you can tell from the text above,
it's pretty quirky to use, but it does work.