RE: 137179 replacements (again)

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 14:56:06 EDT

> Atari's variable draw rate is the main reason for all those WG
> monitors with Tempest burned into them!

Well, the Tempest logo is approaching "full zoom" by the time it's on the
screen in "burn-in" position. Being scaled down a bit does deliver more
energy per square inch though. The bit gotcha is that there's about 16
copies of the logo that all end up on the same place on the screen. That's
a lot of redraws with bright colors on the phosphor...

(The Tempest Multigame only uses about seven copies of the logo and keeps
them moving at all times to minimize the effect of "stacking". Should save
the phosphors, and looks cool... I also use lower brightness single colors
for objects that tend to stay on the screen all the time-- score, border,
credits messages, etc... :-)

-Clay