RE: Ampliphone HV FAQ is done!!!

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 19:28:11 EDT

> One of the problems with going with a NTSC compatible flyback is they are
> tuned to operate around 15khz. If you don't mind your Tempest sounding
> like a raster game (high pitched whine) and hate your dog, then no
> problem.

Some commedian had a good one-liner that can apply here:

"I fixed this funny clanking sound my car had been making this weekend... I
put in a louder stereo."

The yoke chatter would probably mask it pretty well. Anyone remember the
frequency on the WG HVT? I don't think it was ultrasonic or anything...

> EDN had a pretty cool article on designing FBTs and CRT high voltage
> sections
> about two years ago. Maybe we'll be lucky and find it on their web page...

Good idea. The problem I ran into was that by and large I think the big
TV/Monitor guys custom design everything. I don't know of anyone that just
makes "standard" HVT's that you can then turn into a monitor power supply.
There must be some ex-e-Machines (the Mac monitor guys) around Portland
here...

-Clay