RE: Goot Desoldering Gun

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 16:56:37 EDT

> But there isn't
> a single repair operator that will let you take one away, they
> love them! Mostly because these things have serious balls!

Yep, Metcals are pretty god-like. We use them at work. I know Al and I
both have 'em for home too. If you do any surface-mount rework or anything
they're a life-saver. Really tiny tips available that carry heat *exactly*
to the source. I soldered wire-wrap wire to the leads on a fine-pitch TQFP
with mine-- that would have probably been more or less impossible without
the Metcal...

They *are* expensive new though. And tips can be quite spendy-- $20's for
new "pointy" tips on up to the $100's for specialty tips. (Like for heating
all the leads on a 208 TQFP package simultaneously.)

-Clay