Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 14:55:04 EDT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:04:48 -0500, "Keith, Brendan" <Brendan.Keith@wilcom.com>
wrote:

>Why not just create a stripped down version of the 4600 chassis with only
>the Horiz Osc, HOT, associated stuff, and an inductor to simulate the yoke?

That'd be quite an inductor!

Now your talking about the John R. hack.

Unfortunately you need just about everything on the chassis to run the HV.
Everything is inter-twined, all part of the horz and vertical sync stuff.

I'd like to use the parts on the newer K7000 series monitors, since they'll
probably be supporting those for some time to come. The Focus/G2/HV_diode as
all part of a single assembly is also nice for mounting this thing (you won't
have to deal with arcing around the diode, etc.)

If start with one monitor's components (K7000 series) I can use the same drive
transistors (the one going into the horz drive xformer, and the horz output),
the same horz drive xformer, and flyback, and know they're all rated to work
with each other.

On these monitors it'd be hard to unwind all the sync/raster stuff from just the
basic HV generation stuff. I'd also like to raise the HV frequency to
ultrasonic. The HV regulator IC looks like a specialty item and does more than
just regulate the HV's low voltage supply. I'd like to keep the special order
item count as low as possible. I'd like to float a LM723 with a hefty pass
transistor to regulate the 123v supply. They're very easy to get.

>Run it straight off the line voltage = less stress on the xfmr assembly.

I'd definitely want to take the stress of the low voltage vector supply, but I'd
like to run the HV through an isolation transformer, if for no other reason but
safety.

-Zonn