Re: Ampliphone HV-other options?!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 21:06:53 EDT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:36:55 -0500, Rodger Boots <rlboots@cedar-rapids.net>
wrote:

>Uh, what exactly are we building high voltage supplies for?
>Keltron replacements? B&W? Color vector? Amplifone?
>
>It would be helpful to know what to design FOR.

What I was HOPING for is to have enough control over the output voltage(s) to be
able to adjust it for the full range of vector needs. From a Atari B&W X/Y,
through Cinematronics Keltrons, up to the Sega color monitors.

A universal vector HV replacement. It would also be the first step towards
building a complete X/Y monitor. It could be I'm only dreaming...

If enough voltage and current is available on the HV output voltage, and the HV
range was *very* adjustable, then we'd have a starting point. I'm assuming an
HV built for a 25kv system will work fine (just overkill) when turned down to
12-18kv.

This works if the Focus, G2 and Video B+ voltages can be made to work. A
secondary voltage divider on the output of some of these voltages can be used to
lower them if the voltages are too high (B+ could be a problem, maybe drop it
through a zener diode or two). If they're too low for some designs, well,
that's more of a problem...

Any suggestions Rodger??? (You're good at these sorts of things!)

-Zonn