RE: This thread reminds me of the Sega Multigame . . .

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 18:10:20 EDT

> The docs for the Sega Multigame mention that the thrust and fire buttons
> will be swapped -- just switch the wires, there is a technical reason for
> it.
>
> I'm guessing it's some bit mask thing that was just easier this way, but
> I'm
> dieing to know what the reason is !

Hmmmm... Been a while since I did that!

I had to rewrite and patch the hell out of all the games to use a "unified"
control panel setup. As I recall, most of the games were somewhat in
agreement with what thrust and fire should be (add ship and fire in Tac
Scan). Star Trek however was bass-ackwards. Star Trek's code was
relatively clean (except for a WEIRD event dispatcher done through software
interrupts) and it looked relatively simple to switch fire and thrust
around...

Rather than have to make a whole bunch (more) hacks to Zektor, Tac/Scan,
Space Fury, and Eliminator to make them match the Star Trek mapping of
fire/thrust-- I patched Star Trek and just had the user swap the wires on
the fire and thrust buttons during installation.

(Given the option, I'll go for "easy for me" about 60% of the time. ;-)

-Clay